Centenary 2012

On Sunday 9th June 1912, the first services ever on St Michaels premises were held in a tent hired from the Church Army - 11 am Mattins, 3pm Children's Service, and 6.30 pm Evensong. About 90 people gathered at 11 that morning to hear Rev Hugh Morrison Rose lead the first ever service.

Exactly 100 years later, on Saturday 9th June 2012, in another hired tent erected close to where the original one was, 120 of the St Michaels family from far and near gathered for a service of BCP evensong. The following day, we welcomed Bishop Stephen to St Michaels to continue our centenary celebrations. It is the church, he reminded us, where his parents had been married, so in at least one sense St Michaels is responsible for Bishop Stephen.

Less than 4 months after the original tent service, the first St Michaels church (now the Church Hall) was dedicated on the eve of St Michaels day - 29th September 1912, by the Bishop of St Albans, having been erected in double-quick time. One hundred years later, we welcomed Bishop John to rededicate the church to the life and ministry of the parish.